A student hostel outside Obafemi Awolowo University campus (OAU) Ile-Ife has been destroyed by the fire that spread from a nearby petrol station at Lagere Road, close to the school campus.
According to Phoenix, at least not less than 26 students of OAU are hospitalized in various hospitals at present, undergoing treatment for injuries sustained in the inferno.
A student who escaped by whiskers narrated his ordeal, saying a deafening bang erupted all of a sudden, and just rapidly the fire began to wreak havoc, burning students and properties.
He described the fire incident as pathetic, saying he couldn’t explain how he escaped.
The OAU Students Union President, Abass Akinremi, disclosed that the inferno began around 6:00 am on Tuesday.
The filling station and two of its annexes have since been closed down by the owner, who also owns the hostel and has reportedly gone into hiding.
However, Akinremi said none of the locked filling stations should be reopened as the owner would be made to bear the cost incurred by the hospitalized students, refund their rents and pay for the properties burnt.
What’s your thought about this?
Kindly like, comment, follow and share.